Northwestern’s Priem golfs way to state
Northwestern High School’s Trevor Priem advanced to the WIAA State Boys Golf Championships thanks to a second-place finish at Tuesday’s Division 2 sectional meet at the Inshalla Country Club in Tomahawk.
As a team, the Tigers missed out on advancing by one stroke.
Northwestern and Rice Lake finished tied for second place with scores of 323, but it was the Warriors that moved on to state thanks to winning the tiebreaker 16-18.
Priem finished with a round of 75. John Birnbaum of Mosinee took medalist honors with a 70.
Priem was 13 strokes better than his regional score of 88, which was good for 19th place.
Also for the Tigers, Cordell Swanson and Brett Botten tied for 13th place with 81s; Kade Bartelt tied for 33rd with 86; and Spencer Anttila tied for 38th at 87.
The state tournament is Monday and Tuesday at University Ridge in Madison.
Division 2 golfers are scheduled to tee off at noon on Monday and 7 a.m. Tuesday.
Priem is the first Tiger golfer to advance to state since 2012 when Northwestern finished in fifth place as a team.
The last Tiger individual to make it to state was 2011 when Gabe Dinkel tied for 17th place.
WIAA Division 2 Boys Golf Sectional
Inshalla Country Club - Tomahawk
(Top two teams advance)
- Lakeland Union, 319; 2. Rice Lake, 323; 2. Northwestern, 323; 4. Medford, 327; 5. Ashland, 341; 6. McDonell Central Catholic/Regis, 342; 7. Amery, 348; 8. West Salem, 350; 9. Neillsville/Loyal, 354; 10. St. Croix Central, 362; 11. Black River Falls, 368; 12. Barron, 415.
Rice Lake defeated Northwestern
Details: Rice Lake 16, Northwestern 18
(Top 5, plus NHS)
** Denotes Individual Qualifier
- John Birnbaum**, Mosinee 70
- Trevor Priem**, Northwestern 75
- Jared Weber**, Neillsville/Loyal 76
- Adam Lazaroff, Lakeland 77
- Ben Resnick, Rice Lake 77
- Cordell Swanson, Northwestern 81
- Kolten Craft, Mosinee 81
- Brett Botten, Northwestern 81
- Kade Bartelt, Northwestern 86
- Spencer Anttila, Northwestern 87